Located in the Chapel
Nursery — Room 117
3 yr olds – Kindergarten — Room 149
1st – 3rd Grade — Room 151
4th & 5th Grade — Room 142
6th & 7th Grade — Room 171
8th Grade — Room 166
9th – 12th Grade — Room 168
Confirmation Parents — Room 170
Pathways — Fellowship Hall A
Biblical Studies — Room 252
Living Our Faith — Fellowship Hall B
Reading the Bible — Chapel
The Great Courses — Room 216
Second Sunday — Room 251
Located in the Sanctuary
WELCOME TO SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH!
We welcome you to Second Presbyterian Church and pray that you will experience God’s love, mercy, and grace in this place and through this congregation.We are an historic church, witnessing to Jesus Christ in this city for nearly 200 years. We also are a church seeking to speak to the needs of today’s world and wrestling with new and exciting ways to be God’s people.We welcome and encourage questions about the Christian faith and life. We believe that the Bible is a living, authoritative document that shapes our lives. We interpret Scripture in context, using the intellect and skills God has given us. Worship is at the center of our life together, engaging both heart and mind, sending us out to witness to God’s love in the world. Because the Good News of Jesus Christ touches all aspects of human life, we make outreach to the wider community and the world a priority. We believe all we are and all we have is a gift from God and that we are responsible for the faithful use of those gifts for the sake of Jesus Christ.If this approach to the Christian faith speaks to you, we invite you to explore Second Presbyterian Church further and invite you to share in its life and ministry.
| Pastor |
(Please bare with us while we fine tune this area)
BIG UPCOMING EVENTS
BIBLE STUDY OFFERINGS
The John Rodman Men’s Bible Study class meets each Friday from 7 to 8 a. for fellowship, prayer and study of a Bible passage. During 2017-18 the group will be studying the gospel of John, led by the Rev. Dr. John M. Mulder.
The group focuses on the meaning of each weekly passage and related commentaries, and how they relate to their personal lives.The class meets in Room 251, next to the Library.
Beginning September 7, Morning Joy will get under way at 9:45a led once again by Steve Jester. Coffee and registration will begin at 9:30a in Fellowship Hall A & B, followed by an introductory lecture exploring Isaiah. In subsequent weeks, the lecture will begin promptly at 9:45a and small discussion groups will follow at 11a for those who choose to participate. Last year more than 70 men and women, members of Second and friends alike, attended the study.
Donations Made Easy
Giving is something that we do from gracious hearts and all giving should come first from within. There are many reasons that we give including humble understanding, compassion, empathy, and the desire to serve.
There are many ways to give including online and offline donations along with one time donations & reoccurring donations. There’s a ton that you can give.
WATCH | LISTEN | DOWNLOAD
Browse the archives to listen to and/or download sermons. We invite you to check back periodically as we are always adding to our archives and media options.
The Director of Children’s Ministries enriches the Christian faith formation of 2nd Presbyterian’s children and families by resourcing educational programs and volunteers and calling the faith community to faithfully love and serve children and families
2nd Presbyterian Children’s Ministry Mission Statement, 2017
The Children’s Ministry of Second Presbyterian Church seeks to inspire children through the development of their faith and knowledge as they grow in love for God and the World.
The core values of the children’s ministry reflect the environment the church strives to create for the children:
- Joy: Providing playful and loving experiences that inspire children and families to grow in their faith
- Faith: Developing an understanding of God’s love by teaching scripture and following the example Jesus set for us
- A Place at the Table: Accepting unconditionally all children and families and appreciating their unique gifts and talents
Description and Responsibilities
The Director of Children’s Ministries ensures that relationships between children, families, and volunteers are nurtured, and rooted in joyful Christian discipleship.
- The DCM knows the names and faces of children and parents within a year
- The DCM welcomes all children and families to 2nd Pres events and ensures all first time visitors receive exceptional and timely follow up
- The DCM visits all families within the first year and welcomes babies into the 2nd Presbyterian family
- The DCM creates a communication plan, including digital, written, in person, and text, in consultation with parents and ensures that it runs smoothly
- The DCM works closely with the Associate Pastor and Youth Director to develop a comprehensive Christian formation plan that spans from birth to death
- The DCM enthusiastically supports and is present at children’s ministry events
Recruiting and Supervision:
The Director of Children’s Ministries coordinates and supervises all hands-on children’s volunteers, calling them to use their gifts and talents on behalf of children. In particular:
- With the leadership of the Children’s Ministry Committee, recruits and trains all children’s ministry volunteers at least one month before their service is to begin
- Provides consistent and creative leadership and encouragement to build long-term retention of volunteers. This includes spiritual and community support
- Leads or provides at least two teacher training events yearly as well as ongoing support
- Ensures all adults working with kids have gone through appropriate channels including background checks and have received safe church materials and are practicing them.
- Supervises and grows all summer programming
The Director of Children’s Ministries oversees the day-to-day operations of the children’s ministry in close collaboration with the Children’s Ministry Committee. The Director will:
- Grow the weekly programs of 2nd Pres’ children’s ministry (i.e. Sunday School and Sacred Space) in participation, enthusiasm, and spiritual depth
- Design and share a yearly curriculum plan at least one month before programming begins. Distribute curriculum and other resources in a timely manner
- Set a tone of joyful enthusiasm for all children’s programming and ensure all children’s programs have a winsomely Christian atmosphere
- Lead the children’s ministry to meet or exceed 1, 3, and 5 year goals.
- Coordinate with staff to communicate effectively and in a timely manner with parents and the church. (church newsletter, monthly children’s ministry e-mail, bulletin boards, bulletin, website, etc.)
- Align children’s programming and special events with the mission statement, core values, and goals
- Prepare and oversee the children’s ministry budget and maintain a balanced budget
- Organize and publicize major events in the most effective way for parents/guardians and creates confidence in parents that their children are creatively and faithfully nurtured
- Ensure control documents are in place and distributed in a timely fashion including a children’s directory, volunteer job descriptions, the children’s ministry calendar, event and trip registration forms, and leaders directory. This includes keeping compliance documents current including copyright licensing, background checks, etc.
- Create event notebooks for major events and updates records when they are completed. Keeps attendance for weekly children’s ministry programs
- Manage the 2nd Pres Nursery for infants and toddlers for Sundays and other church events
Minimum Experience: College degree with concentration in Education and/or Ministry, 3-5 years teaching or managing children’s programming and volunteers
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
Special Talents, Skills Preferred: Strong Christian faith, administration, organization, delegation, ability to meet deadlines, relates to children and adults well
Resources and Training Provided: Ongoing continuing education opportunities and regular safe sanctuaries training.
Those interested in the Director of Children’s Ministry need to send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org