Located in the Chapel
Nursery — Room 117
3 yr olds – Kindergarten — Room 149
1st – 3rd Grade — Room 151
4th & 5th Grade — Room 142
6th & 7th Grade — Room 171
8th Grade — Room 166
9th – 12th Grade — Room 168
Confirmation Parents — Room 170
Pathways — Fellowship Hall A
Biblical Studies — Room 252
Living Our Faith — Fellowship Hall B
Reading the Bible — Chapel
The Great Courses — Room 216
Second Sunday — Room 251
Located in the Sanctuary
WELCOME TO SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH!
We welcome you to Second Presbyterian Church and pray that you will experience God’s love, mercy, and grace in this place and through this congregation.We are an historic church, witnessing to Jesus Christ in this city for nearly 200 years. We also are a church seeking to speak to the needs of today’s world and wrestling with new and exciting ways to be God’s people.We welcome and encourage questions about the Christian faith and life. We believe that the Bible is a living, authoritative document that shapes our lives. We interpret Scripture in context, using the intellect and skills God has given us. Worship is at the center of our life together, engaging both heart and mind, sending us out to witness to God’s love in the world. Because the Good News of Jesus Christ touches all aspects of human life, we make outreach to the wider community and the world a priority. We believe all we are and all we have is a gift from God and that we are responsible for the faithful use of those gifts for the sake of Jesus Christ.If this approach to the Christian faith speaks to you, we invite you to explore Second Presbyterian Church further and invite you to share in its life and ministry.
| Pastor |
(Please bare with us while we fine tune this area)
BIG UPCOMING EVENTS
BIBLE STUDY OFFERINGS
The John Rodman Men’s Bible Study class meets each Friday from 7 to 8 a. for fellowship, prayer and study of a Bible passage. During 2017-18 the group will be studying the gospel of John, led by the Rev. Dr. John M. Mulder.
The group focuses on the meaning of each weekly passage and related commentaries, and how they relate to their personal lives.The class meets in Room 251, next to the Library.
Beginning September 7, Morning Joy will get under way at 9:45a led once again by Steve Jester. Coffee and registration will begin at 9:30a in Fellowship Hall A & B, followed by an introductory lecture exploring Isaiah. In subsequent weeks, the lecture will begin promptly at 9:45a and small discussion groups will follow at 11a for those who choose to participate. Last year more than 70 men and women, members of Second and friends alike, attended the study.
Donations Made Easy
Giving is something that we do from gracious hearts and all giving should come first from within. There are many reasons that we give including humble understanding, compassion, empathy, and the desire to serve.
There are many ways to give including online and offline donations along with one time donations & reoccurring donations. There’s a ton that you can give.
WATCH | LISTEN | DOWNLOAD
Browse the archives to listen to and/or download sermons. We invite you to check back periodically as we are always adding to our archives and media options.
Scope and Purpose
To lead and manage the financial, human resources, technology and property ministries of the church.
- A baccalaureate degree with concentration in accounting or finance and management from a recognized college. Advanced coursework in accounting and financial management is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in church administration or general management within a business environment with direct responsibility for managing people, accounting/finance functions, facilities management, and technology.
- A working knowledge of church or nonprofit management processes and accounting procedures.
- Proficiency with financial and database computer software and programs such as Church Windows, ACS, Excel and other spreadsheet formats.
- Demonstrable leadership, financial, budgeting, modeling, organizational, technology and multitasking experience and skills.
- A congenial, outgoing personality that fosters positive relationships.
- Coordinates all business decisions and financial policies related to the general management of the church under the direction of the Session, the Pastor/Head of Staff and other committees as appropriate.
- Works with the Pastor/Head of Staff, Session, its committees, and other staff in preparing the annual Ministry Action Plan (budget); works with committee moderators to review and revise the budgets as needed; consults with the Finance Committee to finalize and produce budgets and related reports.
- Analyzes financial data to aid in decision-making within the church.
- Negotiates and manages contracts entered into by the church, including but not limited to property/liability insurance, banking relationships, vendor contracts, etc.
- Manages all accounting and reporting functions of the church in a timely and accurate fashion including but not limited to:
- Receipts and Expenditures,
- Investment Funds/Endowments,
- Financial reports (monthly and yearly) for the Session, the Finance Committee, the Trustees and the congregation,
- Closing out and balancing books at year-end; managing a successful annual audit report; working with auditor in preparation of the audit
- Administers the human resource needs of the church under the guidance of the Session, Personnel Committee and Pastor/Head of Staff including but not limited to:
- Provides assistance on employment, authorizes and oversees background checks, placement, orientation, training, employee relations, compensation and benefits.
- Coordinates annual employee performance reviews, and administers personnel policies and procedures.
- Maintains all records and submits all reports needed by the Board of Pensions and other legal entities including those for new employees and any changes in information.
- Maintains church technology by, including but not limited to, negotiating contracts with and managing the vendors responsible for insuring the reliability and capabilities of:
- The church computers and systems, including hardware, software, internet, email etc.,
- The church audio visual systems,
- The church website.
- Manages the Church’s physical property which includes managing the Sexton and the facilities staff, managing contracts relative to the maintenance of the building and its systems, coordinating the church calendar and overseeing the use and security of the facility.
- Attends meetings of and serves as a resource to the Session, the Finance Committee, the Property Committee, the Personnel Committee, the Trustees, and other committees of the church as requested by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
- Adheres to the polity of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Accepts other duties as assigned.
The position is full-time, exempt, with occasional weekend and after-hour work.
The Business Manager reports directly to the Pastor/Head of Staff.
Those interested in the Business Manager Position need to send their resume to email@example.com.